Viscosity Grade Bitumen (Asphalt)
AASHTO Designation: M 226-80 (2008)
ASTM Designation: ASTM D3381-09
Viscosity Grade Bitumen (Asphalt) is a standard grade Bitumen usually used as a Paving Grade Bitumen suitable for road construction and for the production of asphalt pavements with superior properties. This grade of Bitumen is mainly used in the manufacture of hot mix asphalt for bases and wearing courses, and possesses characteristics and qualities unique sand quite different from other agents. They achieve very flexible and tenacious connections with other materials due mainly to viscoelastic response of bitumen, which behaviour depends on how fast charges are applied.
Viscosity Grade Bitumen supplied by BITUMINA is petroleum grade bitumen, manufactured from fractional / vacuum distillation of crude oil, which practical appliance and behaviour varies according to its temperature. The Bitumen supplied by BITUMINA is produced from vacuum residue (short residue) feedstock.
Viscosity Grade bitumens are specified by the methods described in ASTM Standard D3381-09 and AASHTO M226-80 (2008). Viscosity Graded specifications covers bitumen (asphalt) graded by Viscosity at 60 C (140 °F).
There are two methods of grading:º
- Standard Viscosity Grade Bitumen (AC-Grades), in which the Viscosity of the standard bitumen (asphalt) is measured at 60 ºC (140 ºF).
- RTFOT Viscosity Grade Bitumen (AR-Grades), in which the Viscosity of bitumen (asphalt) is measured at 60 °C (140 °F) after the roll on thin film oven test.
Viscosity grade bitumens have a thermoplastic property which causes the material to soften at high temperatures and to harden at lower temperatures. This unique temperature/ viscosity relationship is important when determining the performance parameters such as the adhesion, rheology, durability and application temperatures of bitumen. In the Viscosity Graded Bitumen specifications further special emphasizes is placed on the Bitumen ductility.
Standard Viscosity Grade Bitumen Binders include:
- Viscosity Grade Bitumen AC-2.5
- Viscosity Grade Bitumen AC-5
- Viscosity Grade Bitumen AC-10
- Viscosity Grade Bitumen AC-20
- Viscosity Grade Bitumen AC-30
- Viscosity Grade Bitumen AC-40
RTFOT Viscosity Grade Bitumen Binders include:
- Viscosity Grade Bitumen AR-1000
- Viscosity Grade Bitumen AR-2000
- Viscosity Grade Bitumen AR-4000
- Viscosity Grade Bitumen AR-8000
- Viscosity Grade Bitumen AR-16000
BITUMINA supplies Viscosity Graded Bitumen in correspondence to ASTM D3381. For any inquiries, please contact our sales team on[email protected]
- What Is Bitumen?
- Bitumen Crude
- Bitumen Applications
- How Is Bitumen Produced?
- Bitumen Standards
- Our Range of Products